Skip to main content

Djokovic the man to stop in Miami, Federer returns

Roger Federer makes his return as Novak Djokovic eyes another title at the Miami Open.
 
Roger Federer makes his return as Novak Djokovic eyes another title at the Miami Open.
Federer has been sidelined since the Australian Open due to a knee injury and makes his return at the ATP 1000 event.
Standing in his way of success will inevitably be Djokovic, winner of the BNP Paribas Open and two-time defending Miami champion.
The Serbian will be hard to stop, although the likes of Andy Murray, Stan Wawrinka and Rafael Nadal are also playing at the hard-court event in Florida.


DJOKOVIC THE MAN TO BEAT AGAIN
Djokovic was in form heading to Indian Wells and he maintained that by winning the title.
The world number one holds a 22-1 win-loss record this year, adding three titles, including the Australian Open.
Djokovic has also won the Miami crown five times so that will make him even harder to stop, but he has been part of the controversy surrounding the prize money discussion leading in.
The man he beat in the Indian Wells final – Milos Raonic – has also impressed this year, but he is under an injury cloud after battling a leg injury in the decider.


PRESSURE ON MURRAY
Joining Djokovic in having points aplenty to defend is Murray, who was runner-up last year.
The Brit made a surprise third-round exit at the hands of Federico Delbonis at Indian Wells and must better that.
Murray is also a two-time champion in Miami.


KIND DRAWS FOR DJOKOVIC, FEDERER
It has been kind to Djokovic, with Tomas Berdych the highest-ranked player in his quarter.
Federer could face David Ferrer in the last eight, although the Spaniard may have to overcome Marin Cilic first.
The blockbuster quarter of the draw includes Nadal, Wawrinka, Raonic and Nick Kyrgios.
That leaves Kei Nishikori in Murray's quarter, but the Brit could face Delbonis in the third round.


DJOKOVIC PUSHED IN 2015
Djokovic beat Murray 7-6 (7-3) 4-6 6-0 in last year's decider, but he had been pushed on his way there.
Alexandr Dolgopolov and Martin Klizan both managed to take sets off Djokovic before he got to the final.
Nadal and Wawrinka made third-round exits.


LOVING MIAMI
Djokovic is on a 12-match winning run in Miami. His last loss there came against Tommy Haas in 2013.
Murray has 600 points to defend and that puts him in danger of losing the number two ranking to Federer. The 17-time grand-slam champion skipped the event last year so has points to gain.


RAONIC'S WORRY, CONFIDENT DJOKOVIC
Another injury worry for Raonic, who hurt his adductor at Melbourne Park. After his loss to Djokovic, the Canadian said: "[It felt] similar, but not as bad. I don't think I let it get as bad."
As for Djokovic, his incredible form has continued. "I have been managing to win most of the big matches against top-10 players," he said. "Obviously I have a certain routine and certain preparation for these big matches that works for me."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Chelsea news

Chelsea news: Antonio Conte’s men shouldn't worry about beating Atletico Madrid - Lampard CHELSEA have to remember they don’t need to beat Atletico Madrid. Those are the thoughts of Blues legend Frank Lampard. After thrashing Qarabag on matchday 1, Chelsea travel to face La Liga giants Atletico Madrid in their second Champions League group game on Wednesday (7.45pm). Antonio Conte ’s men have hit their stride in the Premier League and swept aside Stoke 4-0 at the bet365 Stadium in their last outing. Lampard, who was part of the Champions League winning side in 2012, insists his former club don’t need to get a victory against Atletico. Morata and Hazard look sharp in training as Chelsea prepare for Atletico Madrid clash “Chelsea should remember they don’t have to win the game,” Lampard told the   London Evening Standard . “If they come away with a draw they will be happy and it will set them up for the Manchester City match. “I expect Atletico will press high ...
rudeboypsquare ALL YOU ALL WANT IS PSQUARE ALL I WANT IS FAMILY,LOVE AND CARE. PAUL OKOYE POURS OUT HIS MIND ON IG rudebo y psquare All you all want is psquare ,...all I want is family, love and care!!! Social media is the new root of all evil!! There's family before Psquare and there will always be family after PSquare ....Jude was only a scape goat and a victim .The person who has been keeping us together for all these years,..the truth is peter and Paul have issues!.For the first time I decided to do something outside Psquare ,and that is the case study here.I have always supported my brother 100% from His personal endorsements to dance with Peter which some re still on my I.g... Now I have just 3 questions....Why is it that these things are happening immediately I realized muno's singles under rudeboy Recordz. no.2 .. How come after jude stopped managing psquare for over a month now, the problem st...

Why Obama went to a ballgame in Cuba after the Brussels attacks

(CNN) As the Brussels attacks jarred Europe and sent shockwaves through U.S. politics, President Barack Obama stuck to his agenda: a speech to the Cuban people and a baseball game. Critics such as Republican presidential candidate John Kasich railed at Obama for failing to return to the U.S. immediately. But the President argued that sticking to his schedule denied terrorists any victory in their goal of upending daily life. "The whole premise of terrorism is to try to disrupt people's ordinary lives," Obama said Tuesday in Havana when asked if he had second thoughts about attending the game between the Tampa Bay Rays and the Cuban national team. The clashing approaches offer a window into the president's worldview -- his desire to emphasize long-term interests over short-term emergencies and project calm at a time of high public concern. It's a dynamic that has sometimes caused him problems, leaving aides concerned that Obama's cool ...