Skip to main content

Conte mum after Germany debacle

After 20 months in charge during which he has fielded 49 players and tried a host of different tactical formations, Italy coach Antonio Conte seems no nearer to finding a team which his countrymen can get enthusiastic about.
Italy briefly raised hopes with a lively performance in last week's 1-1 draw against Spain only to have them brought straight back down again on Tuesday as Conte's side were outclassed and thumped 4-1 by Germany.
As usual, Conte praised his players for their effort, something he feels necessary to emphasise after every game, even though most people would expect nothing less from professional footballers representing their country.
"I can't reprimand the lads who had given everything they can in terms of effort, will and determination," he said. "But it wasn't enough. There is a gap we have to make up when we face some teams."
But there were few clues as to what Italy will look like when they face Belgium in their opening Euro 2016 Group E game in Lyon on June 13.
Conte's spell in charge has been strangely uninspiring, especially for a passionate man, who is famous for halftime dressing-room outbursts where he throws bottles of fizzy mineral water against the walls.
He has chopped and changed his team, argued with clubs over the release of players for training camps and sparked controversy by including foreign-born players.
Even last year, the Italian federation had to deny rumours that he would quit and two weeks ago, Conte announced that he would not renew his contract after Euro 2016, saying he missed the day-to-day buzz of club football.
OVERLOOKING PROMISE
Italy came through their qualifying group comfortably enough, with seven wins and three draws in their 10 games.
But the over-riding feeling was that they were going through the motions as they won five games by a single goal, including home and away 1-0 victories over Malta.
For all the experiments, Conte has faced criticism that he has overlooked some of Italy's most promising players such as Sassuolo forward Domenico Berardi and Empoli playmaker Riccardo Saponara.
The only positives against Germany were the performances of Stephan El Shaarawy and Lorenzo Insigne in attack.
Elsewhere, a pedestrian four-man midfield was hopelessly over-run, leaving the three-man defence, missing injured Giorgio Chiellini, at Germany's mercy.
Afterwards, Conte would only provide generic comments about "evaluating the options", although he suggested that he would not be calling up any more untested players.
"I will make my evaluations based on what I have seen on the pitch, without getting carried away about the Spain performance or making a drama out of what happened against Germany," he said.
"I will monitor what happens until the end of the championship and then try to make the right choices. However, these are the players we are choosing from. In the next six weeks we won't pull anything different out of the hat."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Chelsea news

Chelsea news: Antonio Conte’s men shouldn't worry about beating Atletico Madrid - Lampard CHELSEA have to remember they don’t need to beat Atletico Madrid. Those are the thoughts of Blues legend Frank Lampard. After thrashing Qarabag on matchday 1, Chelsea travel to face La Liga giants Atletico Madrid in their second Champions League group game on Wednesday (7.45pm). Antonio Conte ’s men have hit their stride in the Premier League and swept aside Stoke 4-0 at the bet365 Stadium in their last outing. Lampard, who was part of the Champions League winning side in 2012, insists his former club don’t need to get a victory against Atletico. Morata and Hazard look sharp in training as Chelsea prepare for Atletico Madrid clash “Chelsea should remember they don’t have to win the game,” Lampard told the   London Evening Standard . “If they come away with a draw they will be happy and it will set them up for the Manchester City match. “I expect Atletico will press high ...

5 female actors who went nude for a movie role

From Angelina Jolie in "Original Sin," to Anne Hathaway in "Brokeback Mountain," check out five female actors who have bared it all on screen.    Over the years, lots of actors have been brave enough to bare it all for a movie role. Some unknown actresses go full-frontal in their roles, but we have also had the famous, well-established actresses as well. From Angelina Jolie in "Original Sin," to Anne Hathaway in "Brokeback Mountain," check out five female actors who have bared it all on screen. Here we go; 1. Anne Hathaway In 2005, one year after she launched her career, the actress decided to strip with Jake Gyllenhaal in " Brokeback Mountain."   2. Halle Berry The actress won an Oscar for her role in the film " The Monster's Ball ," which tells the story of a relationship between a racist prison guard and the wife of an executed inmate. The movie had her getting hot and heavy in a sex scene wi...

Airtel Trace Music Star

Do you know lyrics to your favorite song? Check out this edition of Pulse TV VOX POP where people try to sing the lyrics to their favorite song. Do you know the lyric to your favorite song? More than that, can you sing it? Well guess what!!! You can win up to five million naira, a music video, a record deal, and a trip to the United States to America with Keri Hilson . No need to worry about stage fright, just call 5678 with your airtel line, and sing to your heart's content. Need a pointer? Well, check out this episode of Pulse TV VOX POP where people sing the lyrics to their fvorite songs. It promises to be exciting.